Cabbage Soup Day 1 Recap - 290

Day 1 of my RESET.  I'm drinking protein shakes (two kinds), and eating cabbage soup.  The

The cabbage soup comes from the Cabbage Soup Diet - google it.  It's been around a while.  I've eaten it before.  I doubled this and made a huge pot.  I also added extra pepper flakes and some Sriracha sauce because I like spice.  And a cup of corn.  And some lime. People eat this for seven days, I'm doing it for three.  I'm mostly doing it because it is low calorie, warm, and I want something I don't have to think about making for a couple days.  Something easy to grab.

It does sort of go against all my feelings for quick fixes and diet fads.  But it's not so much a quick fix on weight loss for me (although losing the 5 pounds I just gained would be nice); I have way too many pounds to lose.  But it's an approach to zapping my cravings, and getting me in line.  The diet has different foods to eat, depending on the day.  I'm really just using the soup, the shakes, and improvising, but trying to keep it to those two things as much as possible.

CABBAGE SOUP
Ingredients
½ head of cabbage, chopped (I used pre-shredded cabbage, aka cole slaw)
1 cup diced celery
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
14 oz can basil, oregano, garlic diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
black pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon salt (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots. Saute until slightly tender. Stir in garlic. Add chicken broth. Stir in diced tomatoes (with juice - the whole can) and cabbage. Stir in spices and cook until cabbage is tender. Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.  I added the juice of half a lime, too.  I also don't like my veggies too soft, so I don't cook them all the way.

Original recipe says it makes enough for about 3 days, but that might be eating it all day?  Not sure.



Today has been OK.  I had my coffee and cream (2 cups) in the morning, followed by a Muscle Milk.   I went on about my morning and a couple hours later realized I was STARVING and feeling shaky and yuck.  I had my Level Life shake, drank some water, and headed out to do some light shopping.  

I really wasn't feeling well.  I should have had that shake earlier, I suppose.  I went into Costco and started shopping and did have one sample - chicken breast, plain - literally a bite of chicken.  I figured that was better than passing out, which was how I was feeling.  The shake must have made it into my system, and the chicken stopped my growling tummy.  I felt fine after that. 

When I got home I immediately started to assemble my soup.  I was actually looking forward to it.   One of my kids did remark on how snappy I was today.  It hurt my feelings.  I didn't want to say it was because I was denying myself regular food, though.  My kids wouldn't understand.  If I said I was trying to quit smoking they might (no, I don't smoke).  As it cooks now, it smells yummy.  I can't wait to dig in.  I don't even care that I can't have bread and butter or anything else.  I want my soup! 

I had another shake, this time pouring it into one of my favorite mugs to make it feel more special.


Nothing exciting, but I did prefer that to drinking it from the package it came in.

I think in total I had 4 cups of the soup and 4 shakes.  Then about 10PM I broke down and had a piece of fried chicken.  My stomach hurt, and I wanted to have a decent night sleep.  My calories were at >1000, and that's ridonkolous.

At any rate, that's what it is.  I think I drank ~13 cups of water, probably more.

I did not hit my 10,000 steps, I did not go on a walk.  Can't handle everything at once.

Woke up in the morning and I weigh 287.



1 comment:

Lori said...

I've done the cabbage soup diet without the soup!

Starting a new plan with a big bang like that works for me. It keeps me on track, since I feel cleaner somehow and I don't want to mess things up.


Good luck with the new plan.
Lori